Monday, June 21, 2010

Grace and a Green 3X5

“Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.”

I have this verse written on a little green (I’m a big fan of green) 3x5 flashcard and pinned on my bulletin board. It’s in plain sight that way, so I have to see it and think about it whenever I look at my bulletin board.

I came upon this verse during my Bible study a few months ago and it really impacted me. I’ve had several chances over the past year or so when I think I could have answered non-Christians with much more grace or with more wisdom than I did. When confronted with the challenging questions of non-Christians or with statements that offended me I either answered with ignorance or lashed out. I know I’ve hurt some friendships because of this and also lost opportunities to witness for Jesus. I’ve been left with a lot of regrets.

But this verse inspires me to prepare myself by studying the Bible and by praying, so that I will always be ready to answer challenging questions. But more so, it constantly reminds me that my words mean nothing to people unless they are full of grace and love. If we do not have love, we have nothing.

Anyway, colored flashcards are great to write inspiring notes or quotes on. Put them up where you can see them all the time. You’ll be forced to re-read them over and over, and in a jiffy they’ll get stuck on your mind and heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment